5 Golf Warm Up Exercises - Helpful Tips
Study shows that Dr. Ben Langdon, head Sports Scientist at PGA National Training Academy at Belfry, conducted research on pre-round routines and the effects on drive distances. Two pre-round routines were stacked up against a control group to determine which produced the furthest distance off the tee. The three tested routines are as follows: no warm up, dynamic warm up, and resistance band warmup.
Importance of a golf warm up:
- Help prevent injury
- Increase body temperature
- Increase range of motion
- Increase explosive potential
- Increase distance
Dr. Ben Langdon found that warming up in general produced more distance off the tee compared to the control group. The resistance band warm up consisting of warming up the glutes, torso and mid back produced further tee shots than the dynamic warm up.5 easy exercises you can do before you pick up your golf club:
Watch fitness professional Zach Gulley demonstrate each stretch.
- Knee pulls: https://youtu.be/YjfaxqdkklA
- Ankle pulls: https://youtu.be/wxdGc7sY3D4
- Cross body punches: https://youtu.be/2eKsV_qmkMA
- Functional IT band stretch: https://youtu.be/8c7j5zKjMTc
- Lunge and rotate: https://youtu.be/LTTNTG2vQ9k
For more information on the importance of warming up before playing your next round of golf at Superstition Mountain Gold and Country Club, contact our TPI certified fitness professional Zach Gulley at firstname.lastname@example.org.